Friday, January 26, 2018

Hundred Years War on the Workbench


So far my focus here has been fantasy and sci-fi. As I was looking for a place to to share my historical projects it was a hard to decision whether to do it here as I was a apprehensive about diluting the focus. But I have energy enough for just one blog, and so everything goes in this one place.

Here are my early, or Crecy War, Hundred Years War figures.I bought this collection a few years ago in several stages, and here at my (fairly) new home, with enough space to spread out with a project like this, starting in January 2017 I decided to really go for it, and I managed some strong sprints through March, when  other projects started to creep in, especially Dungeonquest and Talisman in the first half of 2017, and then D&D (campaign prep more than miniatures) in the second half. All told I've spent 133 hours on this project so far.

The figures are Old Glory, Foundry, Black Tree, Front Rank, and a few Claymore Castings, which are hands down the best early HYW figs there are. The Black Tree, Front Rank, Foundry and Claymore all mix well. The Old Glory are slimmer and smaller, and mix ok with the Foundry but look small next to the others. I'm managing to relax in my old age, though, and not let this bother me. The Old Glory figures have some things I love about them, and some things that exasperate me, but over all, I wouldn't trade them.


Dismounted Men-at-arms, Crossbowmen and Billmen (which I am painting along with the others as I own them but won't be taking part in the Crecy War)
They are based on magnetic bases from Shogun Miniatures, which I recommend. I glue them with crappy new formula Liquid Nails, which is a disgrace to the Liquid Nails legacy and not worthy at all of the name, but at least if I ever decide to get with the hip kids and do unit bases I can get them off easily! I then texture them and cover the integral base with my favorite material, Pre-Mixed Concrete Patch (watered down and shaped with a sculpting tool and/or damp brush).

Wonderful, characterful Foundry Peasants by the Perry Brothers
Men-at-arms, longbowmen, pavisiers, crossbowmen


Mounted men-at-arms and mounted archers (sharing a tray with some primed 16th century stradiots and 15th century men-at-arms)

Longbowmen and cavalry

Horses—what a chore to clean all these but they're done

Old Glory Dismounted Men-at-Arms
Old Glory Dismounted Men-at-Arms
Foundry Peasants
Front Rank Dismounted Men-at-Arms
Foundry Billmen
Peasants and Men-at-Arms

No comments:

Post a Comment