Thursday, June 15, 2017

Herald of Nurgle (Reaper Plague Harbinger)

Here's a bit of an interlude between my Dungeonquest and upcoming Talisman figures and a change of pace from the bright, candy look. If I could be satisfied with a single mode and a single collection I would be a lot saner, but I have to give expression to my grimdark side. :)

I started this figure about ten years ago, then picked it up again about five years ago and got it to about 90%, and then there it sat. Are you like me, with a shameful number of unfinished figures? Recently I've been bearing down on a some of these around the edges of other projects.



This is Werner Klocke figure done for Reaper, Dark Heaven 02804 Plague Harbinger, and you can see he was obviously in a Realm of Chaos mode at the time. The fly emblem on his armor (hard to see, because I didn't call any attention to it, but let it fall back into the muck) dispels any lingering doubt. I think this was before the concept of a chaos herald but he fits the bill pretty nicely.




I really like the palette I achieved on this figure and think it will be a good reference point for other figures. I've spent a lot of thought planning fantasy Nurgle projects and a few years ago I painted a Warmaster Nurgle army, but it was a surprise for me to realize this is the first 28mm Nurgle figure I've painted. I know it was before 1996 when I had seven champions that were among my favorite figures in my collection, but at the time I was too shy to tackle my favorite figures. I work like an assembly line these days prepping many hundreds of figures—washing, basing, mold lines, priming etc—and I just washed and based the tray of RoC figures in which those same seven reside, along with younger compatriots.

Like many a Nurgle paintjob before him, in essence it was a white prime, then black metals, gunmetal and highlights, then washes, washes and washes, and finally edge highlights. Brown, yellow, rust. I don't recall if there is any actual green paint. Black plus yellow is good for Nurgle, I think, and any greens here probably came from that.

This would be a good figure for a chaos warband, either old school Realm of Chaos or whatever people might be playing at the local shops, or "AOS28" or whatever. I've got more Nurgle on the workbench including some Heresy demons to use as plague bearers and some converted Gamezone chaos warriors. I just checked back and it also looks like I might not have shared my Warmaster figures here, it must have been an older blog.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice work on the Herald, with an excellent colour scheme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed! The Paint job is excellent; what is not excellent is being shamefully reminded of all of the half finished figures in my own cupboards… 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the occasionally painful realities of this hobby... ;)

      Delete
  3. Very Nurgley! I've been buying from Reaper more and more. I've gotten tired of people charging too much for "OOP" figures. I also have a ton of unfinished figures lying around reproaching me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Speaking of Reaper, I just cleaned, based and primed several trays worth... I think I'll put up some pics of my assembly line. Good luck with them and the WIPs!

      Delete
  4. Very nice indeed! The Paint job is excellent; what is not excellent is being shamefully reminded of all of the half finished figures in my own cupboards… ��
    āđ‚āļāđ€āļ”้āļ™āļŠāļĨ็āļ­āļ•
    āļŠูāļ•āļĢāļšāļēāļ„āļēāļĢ่āļē

    ReplyDelete